Okay, I wrote a whole real post a few days ago but I don’t think I’m really in the right state of mind for it. And you know. It’s the holidays and all. I promise a delightful, depressing one with thoughts about Christmas and stuff next week. For now, I have pulled the first random Christmas survey thing off the internet (on Yahoo because I am classy) that I found because that’s pretty much what the internet is for, right?
1. Does your family send out Christmas cards?
No, we never really did Christmas cards or letter or anything like that. Not a big deal in our house.
2. How soon do you start shopping?
This year I have been totally broke and no one is getting presents, which makes me super sad. But normally I definitely start at least a month or two early. Last year I started in August.
3. Who do you shop for?
My immediate family and friends. Extended family has never been as much of a thing for me.
4. Do you put up a Christmas tree?
I love Christmas trees so yes, that’s a big deal to me.
5. If so, is it fake or real?
Typically I am a purist and always go for real, although this year has been a strangely special case and was a surprise.
6. Do you like tinsel?
Ummm. I mean, it looks kind-of pretty, I guess but nowhere near pretty enough to be worth the effort. Apparently when my mother was a kid they always had tinsel on their tree that my grandfather always put up and they just assumed he liked putting it up. And one year like way down the road they found out that he always passionately hated putting it up, he just did it because it was tradition and he was supposed to. Don’t assume, I guess?
7. Do you use homeade or storebought ornaments?
I have ornaments from every year from my whole life, getting ornaments is a family tradition. They are basically all store bought though.
8. Do you put Christmas lights outside your house?
Usually, absolutely. Not this year though.
9. Do you put lights on the tree?
…. yes? Are there people who do not do this? What is the point of a Christmas tree if you can’t sit happily in the dark and look at how pretty it is?
10. How about popcorn and cranberries?
No. I’ve never actually met someone who did this.
11. Is there a wreath hanging on your door?
No, I’ve never done a wreath, although I like them. They’re pretty expensive.
12. Do you celebrate Christmas Eve?
Yeah, Christmas Eve is typically the night that my family did the immediate family stuff. We usually did church and present opening on that night and also watched the Muppet Christmas Carol. This year I won’t be with my family but I will at least still be watching Muppet Christmas Carol.
13. Do you hang up your stocking?
Normally, yes every year. I have a stocking my aunt made me for my first Christmas. This year… not so much. This is a weird transitional kind-of year, as it turns out.
14. Does your family read “Twas the night before Christmas?”
It is possible that we have? I don’t specifically remember that. I know we’ve had years where we read A Christmas Carol and also of course just the gospel story in Luke.
15. Christmas Movie
I like a lot of them. I guess probably White Christmas though.
16. Character from any Christmas Movie
I’m not sure I have one of these.
17. Christmas Song
I would say this has probably changed a lot but this year it seems to be God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.
18. Christmas Memory
I’m not sure I have a favorite.
19. Give or Receive?
I love giving presents more than just about anything.
20. Eggnog or Cider?
Definitely cider. Am not a fan of eggnog.
21. Red or Green?
I like them both but I guess maybe red if I have to choose.
22. Ham or Turkey?
Mmmmmm. Turkey, I suppose.
23. Star or Angel?
I do not have a strong preference.
24. White Lights or Colored Lights?
Really depends on the situation. But I do have a strong fondness for colored lights.
25. Blinking Lights or Still Lights
Definitely still. I typically love Christmas lights because they make me feel calm, which is harder if they’re bouncing all over the place.
26. Were you Naughty or Nice this year?
*laughs* I guess it depends on who you ask.
27. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Well. Being an insanely broke college student, mostly just money.
28. When do you open your gifts?
Not expecting a lot in the way of gifts this year but the few I get I will probably be opening on the 23rd with some friends.
29. What’s the best gift you’ve ever gotten?
David got a tree to his house this year so I would have Christmas even though I was broke. That was pretty amazing. Also, a few years back my friends got together and got me the box set of Buffy. As I am a huge nerd, that was also super exciting.
30. What’s the worst gift you’ve ever gotten?
Nothing really springs to mind…
31. Who gives you the most gifts?
I suppose most years it’s my parents. This year I’m not really expecting anything from them.
32. Have you ever had a secret Santa?
Sure, for work parties and stuff.
33. Do you like wrapping gifts?
Ummmm… kind-of? I’m not good at it but I enjoy the end result of having all the packages under the tree.
34. Do you put change in those red buckets?
I always used to and then found out that the Salvation Army has this real problem with the LGBT community and I have not so much done that since then.
35. Do you burn a yule log?
36. Can you name all the reindeer?
I… actually am not sure I can off the top of my head.
37. Do you bake cookies?
Typically no one in their right mind wants anything I bake.
38. Have you ever seen your mommy kissing Santa Clause?
39. Have you ever gotten a kiss under the mistletoe?
Not that I recall.
40. Do you go caroling?
I feel like I have like once with a church group or something but I can’t remember for sure. It’s definitely never been something I’ve done regularly.
41. Do you drive around and look at the Christmas lights?
There are definitely years when I have. Not for a while, probably not since I was a kid and we went as a family.
42. Have you ever left Santa cookies?
Nah. Santa wasn’t like a really big deal in our house. I think we all stopped believing in him pretty young and none of us were terribly broken up about it.
43. Have you ever sat on Santa’s lap?
Sure, as a little kid.
44. Who do you celebrate Christmas with?
Well, this year it’s with someone I’m very, very fond of. ❤ So that’s nice.
45. Where do you celebrate Christmas?
This year at David and the Superhero’s house while they go on a Superhero journey to visit family and trust us not to burn their house to the ground. Foolish people.
46. Have you ever had a white Christmas?
Maybe like 2 in my life? MAYBE 3 but I doubt it.
47. What part of Christmas do you look most foward to?
Honestly, generally it’s all of it. If I had to pick something, it’s buying presents for everyone. This year I’ve been a bit nervous about the whole thing.
48. Have you ever had your picture taken with Santa?
I think possibly yes when I was small.
49. Does your family always take a picture at Christmas?
50. Have you ever heard the song “Thank God For Kids” by The Oakridge Boys?
What a very bizarre final question. I do not think I have, it rings no bells. Is it about Christmas?